Yesterday, while waiting to have new tires installed on my SUV, I finalized the design of a t-shirt quilt and conducted an initial phone consult with another customer. Pleased to say that after 4 years in business, I finally received a local referral from someone completely unrelated to family, friends or school/work. The person’s name she gave as the one who gave her my contact information didn’t even ring a bell. That made my day!
Basically, the process goes something like this:
- Decide which t-shirts you want to use in the quilt.
- Launder your t-shirts as usual, but do not use fabric softener.
- Indicate which side of the t-shirt you want used in the quilt.
- Think about colors you might want to use for borders & sashing. Most customers let me choose, but blue and gray are very popular.
- Make arrangements to get the t-shirts to me (local pickup or ship).
- Pay a $100 deposit.That’s all you have to do. I do the rest.
Lead times vary, depending on my day job and how busy I am with other quilts in the queue. I have completed a twin-size in as little as 3 weeks (around a full-time job). Lead times during busy season (like right now with graduation) might be 8-12 weeks.
Final price depends on number of t-shirts, size of quilt, extended borders, photo blocks, pieced blocks, etc. I can give you an estimate when you first contact me; however, the final price will be determined once I see your items.
I will send you updates periodically during the process. If you have a firm deadline, please communicate this at the very beginning. Once completed, I will send you a photo of the quilt and we will make delivery arrangements at that time. Any balance due must be paid before I ship the quilt. Local customers can pay at pick-up.
Then, enjoy your fabulous new quilt and wrap yourself up in memories!