Quilters and sewists are known for their propensity to give back to the local community. Here’s a list of potential projects to build your skills and right-size your fabric stash, all while helping out a local organization that needs your support:
- Placemats for Meals on Wheels
- Pet beds for a local animal shelter
- Drawstring bags or backpacks for kids in foster care
- Pillowcases for a local children’s hospital
- Quilts for any number of organizations. Easy Quilt I Spy Quilt
- Zip pouches to hold travel size toiletries passed out by a local homeless ministry
- Potholders or aprons to be used by volunteers working in a local community kitchen
- Organizer bags that velcro onto a walker or wheelchair to hold essential items
There are all sorts of free patterns available. Many quilting magazines, sewing machine companies and fabric manufacturers offer free project ideas.
Start by searching on Pinterest and see what appeals to you.
Be sure to pin or bookmark favorite sites.