Restoring order to chaos

While on vacation, I picked up a pretty, throw-size quilt kit @ Quilter’s Way for about $30.00.  The shop had marked down various unsold kits and offered an extra discount on sale items that day.  Staff had modified the “Just Can’t Cut It” pattern that I already had at home for a 9″ block.  The price was certainly right as I was looking for inexpensive, easy tops to make so I could practice free motion quilting.  My thinking was I could either donate the finished quilt or give it away as a gift.

Well, I’m to the point where I can start assembling the quilt top.  Tonight, I went on a mission to get all of the parts to the project together and put it in one of my ArtBin containers.  I couldn’t find all of the pattern instructions.  I turned my sewing room inside out looking for that instruction sheet.

To make a long story short, yes I eventually found the missing page.  However, my sewing room looked like a war zone by the time I’d finished.

It took three hours to clean up the mess.

But it’s clean, everything is in its place and I am READY to sew tomorrow.

 

Kona Challenge Quilt

This one had me way outside my comfort zone.  Provided with two packs of solid fat quarters and told the winning criteria would be the best use of the fabric provided.  The finished project is my original design with a vintage meets modern twist.  My inspiration was an English cottage garden with its winding pathways and riots of colorful flowers in no particular order.  Appliqued art deco style trumpet tulips make up the corner blocks on the borders.  I had this fabulous idea for machine quilting, but when time came to execute the idea, there was a failure to launch.  It looked awful. Much reverse sewing took place, including many a decorative stitch. In the end (and up against a deadline) I wound up simply ditch quilting on the body (very busy riot of color) and free form vines in the borders.  Know what?  It works.  That’s one reason I was attracted to the modern quilt movement…simple quilting is fine.  The simple quilt design mantra is also one  Kaffe Fassett preaches in his classes.

After a brief trip out to run a couple of pressing errands, it’s back to binding.  We have to keep our challenge entries under wraps until the end of next week, but here’s a closeup of one of the tulip blocks:

Potholder Swap

So I received my potholder swap partner’s info. Hmmm. Perhaps that red coffeepot I stitched during my l-o-n-g journey home from New Hampshire would go well with the red, aqua and white color scheme requested. Think I have a FQ of Moda in the stash that I picked up during Shop Hop this spring. That would look good on the back with a red/aqua/white stripe around the embroidery. Will set it in a square within a square design. Swap partner also said she likes orangey-red. Hmmm. Will have to consult the paint chips @ HD to find an orangey-red I can use as a guide.

%d bloggers like this: